How I’m recovering from my own cold
Being a Naturopath doesn’t make me superwoman – and last week I came down with the dreaded lurgy.
Now that I’m no longer contagious, I thought it would be useful to talk about what I’ve been doing to help myself recover:
- I’m resting as much as possible – this isn’t the time for me to “soldier on”. I even let go of my beloved table tennis for a couple of weeks.
- Hydration, hydration, hydration – I’m drinking lots of herbal teas with ginger to help clear the congestion.
- Lemon and honey – warm lemon juice with medicinal manuka honey to fight infection.
- Ginger in everything I can think of, from stir fried veggies to miso soup.
- Listening to my body’s needs for food – or not. If my body doesn’t feel hungry, then a light soup rather than a big meal.
- Taking key herbal remedies, vitamins and minerals. The most important herbs for me have been: high-dose garlic, andrographis, echinacea, golden seal and pleurisy root.
- A key addition has been NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) – an amino acid that is renowned for breaking up congestion.
It’s been a case of “healer, heal thyself” – and I’m blessed to have my dispensary full of remedies as well a supportive family to care for me and keep the cups of tea coming.
If you’re struggling to break the hold a cold has on you, come and find out what different remedies might make a difference in your recovery.