A few people recently have asked me what I think about “The Paleo Diet”. So I thought it was worth putting this online, not just in individual conversations.
What I like:
- It excludes two of the biggest inflammatory food sources that cause many problems for my patients 1) grains and 2) dairy.
- It encourages a lot of healthy things, including: lots of veggies; small amounts of meat; fermented foods and bone broths.
- It promotes the use of naturally sourced fats rather than manufactured fats.
- It’s generated a lot of really creative recipes for grain-free, dairy-free meals.
What I don’t like:
- In some forms it promotes the purchase of a lot of expensive “fad” ingredients. For example, you don’t need to buy starters to make kim chi – the necessary bugs are already there in the cabbage.
- When it gets interpreted as meaning “all the meat I want to eat”.
So over to you. It’s your health. There is no magic bullet, but you may well find some healthy new meal options if you follow its core principles.